Let’s get you driving a tuk tuk!
Before you can drive a tuktuk in Sri Lanka, there are a few things you’ll need to organise. Don’t worry though, we can help you with it!
- Travel Insurance
- Valid tuktuk driving license
- A tuktuk driving lesson
- The tuktukrental.com kit
1. Travel Insurance
Our Tuktuks come with comprehensive insurance which covers damage to the vehicle, other vehicles, and other people, BUT it’s still extremely important to have your own Travel Insurance in case of a mishap, and especially in the event of personal injury. Tuktuks aren’t commonly written on insurance papers either so we suggest you make sure you are covered for both car and motorcycle – this will prevent you running into any trouble if you need to make a claim.
2. Tuktuk drivers licence
Driving a tuktuk in Sri Lanka requires a special local licence. There are three ways to get this license.
(1) We can get this license for you before you arrive if you have an International Driving Permit (IDP), provided you give us 2 business days notice. If you do not have an International Drivers Permit, you should try and obtain one from your local motoring agency in your home country before you leave.
(2) If you are already travelling and don’t have an IDP you will need to have a “Type B1” endorsement on your national license. If you have this endorsement we can take you to the Department of Motor Transport and get you a temporary tuktuk license. The department is open from 9am till 3pm weekdays.
(3) If you have either a Type B or a Type C endorsement on your national license we have an agreement with the Department of Motor Traffic (DMT) in Sri Lanka to get you a license provided you pass a practical test carried out by the DMT. We will give you a lesson, then take you to the DMT to complete the test. The department is open from 9am till 3pm weekdays.
To order licences, simply select the number required in the optional extras stage of the booking form on our website.
3. The driving lesson
Before you set off on your own, we arrange a qualified tuktuk driver to give you a one hour driving lesson and overview of basic vehicle maintenance.
4. Tuktukrental.com Road Kit
As part of our service we provide a kit that gets you on the road and keeps you on the road longer. Our kit includes:
- Spare Tyre
- Basic Toolset
- Reserve Fuel Tank
- Lockable Storage Box
- USB Charging Port
- Phone Holder
- Maps.me software
- Digital Attractions Map
The following can be booked as optional extras:
- First Aid Kit
- Speakers and MP3 player
- Surfboard roof racks
- Luggage roof racks (these hold more weight than the surfboard alternative)