Let’s get you driving a tuktuk!
But first, let us give you some background information. TukTukRental.com is a social business. Our goal is to improve the lives and incomes of tuktuk owners, by renting their asset to tourists for self-drive adventures in paradise.
By renting out these tuktuks from locals (instead of purchasing our own fleet to utilize commercially), we give back to our community while also providing you with life-changing experiences. We believe the most authentic and best way to travel anywhere in the world is to travel like a local, and travelling like a local opens the door to many places not available by traditional or mainstream tourist routes. This allows you to embrace local culture, cuisine, and lifestyle while interacting with communities and sharing experiences.
Before you can drive a tuktuk in Sri Lanka, let us give you some background information on things you need to know! Don’t worry though, we here to guide you through the process and driving a tuktuk is actually pretty easu and straighforward!
- Quality tuktuks rented from locals to boost their income
- Insurance (tuktuk and personal)
- Locally & Internationally approved licenses ready for your arrival
- Comprehensive Driving Lesson
- On-the-road travel kit
- 100% Carbon Neutral (we offset all km’s driven)
- Repair costs covered by tuktukrental.com while you’re on the road
- Unlimited km’s
- Pickup and dropoff locations ALL across the island
- Easy online payment options and digital deposit refund (PayPal or credit card)
Quality tuktuks rented from locals to boost their income
TukTukRental.com is a social business that doesn’t own any tuktuks. In fact, we source all of our tuktuks from local tuktuk drivers who have some of the lowest salaries in Asia. We make sure everything from arrival to departure is sorted out so you only have to worry about enjoying yourself.
To date, we support around 120 families and you have contributed over $250.000 to the owners of the tuktuk!
Insurance (tuktuk and personal)
We have insurance for all parties. This means you, your vehicle and third-party vehicle as well as people are covered by our insurance. This is standard for all vehicles and included in the rental price. Which covers damage to the vehicle, other vehicles, and other people, BUT it’s still extremely important to have your own travel insurance in case of a mishap, and especially in the event of personal injury. TukTuks aren’t commonly written on insurance papers either so we suggest you make sure you are covered for both car and motorcycle – this will prevent you running into any trouble if you need to make a claim.
If you are looking for travel insurance that covers tuktuks, we have found SafetyWing. They offer quite reasonable rates too!
Prices start a $37/ 4 Weeks and include:
- Travel medical – Access a qualified global network of hospitals and doctors for unexpected medical problems and accidents. Includes coverage for: Doctors, Hospitals, Emergency medical evacuation.
- Travel – Includes coverage for: Travel delay, Lost checked luggage, Emergency response & natural disasters, Personal liability.
Locally & Internationally approved licenses ready for your arrival
Driving a tuktuk in Sri Lanka requires a special local licence. There are two ways to get this license and you will get the tuktuk endorsement as long as you are able to drive a car in your home country.
- We can get this license for you before you arrive if you have an International Driving Permit (IDP) or your National Country Licence, provided you give us 2 business days notice.
- You have an IDP or National Country Licence and you can go to the Automobile Association of Ceylon and get the special Sri Lankan licence yourself.
To order licences, simply select the number required in the optional extras stage of the booking form on our website.
For India, all you need is an International Drivers Permit with B (car) endorsement on it!
Comprehensive Driving Lesson
Before you set off on your own, we arrange a qualified tuktuk driver to give you a one hour driving lesson and overview of basic vehicle maintenance. We make sure you are comfortable driving a tuktuk and you are ready to hit the street like a pro!
On-the-road travel kit
As part of our service, we provide a kit that gets you on the road and keeps you on the road longer. Our kit includes:
- Spare Tyre
- Basic Toolset
- Reserve Fuel Tank
- Lockable Storage Box
- USB Charging Port
- Phone Holder
The following can be booked as optional extras:
- Big Bluetooth Speakers
- Surfboard roof racks
We provide you with:
- Comprehensive on-the-road manual with all the information about renting a tuktuk, driving tips, basic tuktuk maintenance, traveller information and discounts at accommodations around the country!
- An introductory video, which covers everything you need to know and prepare you to drive the roads in paradise!
- Amazing Digital Attractions map which you can load on your mobile, hundreds of unique locations we have sourced over the years to make sure you take the roads less travelled and see things others don’t! Trust me when we say this map is better than the Lonely Planet book 😉
100% Carbon Neutral (we offset all km’s driven)
In the battle against climate change, we all need to do our part. Therefore we offset all your kilometres driving, resulting you driving around Carbon Neutral! This is included in the rental price too 😉
Repair costs covered by tuktukrental.com while you’re on the road
We cover fear wear and tair while you are on the road! That means that if something breaks while you are driving the vehicle unless you were involved in an accident/incident, we cover the cost. When you rent with us there really are no hidden charges!
Pretty straighforward, drive as long and as far as you like. Every kilometer you drive, is included in the rental price.
Pickup and dropoff locations ALL across the island
Want to pick-up in Kandy and drop off in Arugam Bay? All possible! We’ve got 27 pick-up and drop-off location all over the island you can choose diretly from our online reservation system. Not only that, if you requested location is not in the system, just contact us and we’ll make it happen! Our experienced driving instructors drive the tuktuk to your location, togehter with your licence and give you the driving lesson there.
Easy online payment options and digital deposit refund (PayPal or credit card)
When making a booking through our booking system, you can choose to pay by Credit Card or PayPal! Super easy and we refund your deposit back the same way, no hassle with local currencies just before you leave the country.
Book your tuktuk with us now!
Now its time to lock in your three-wheeled glorified lawnmoyer, we have normal tuktuks avaialble as well as a CamperTuk with solar panel and where you can sleep in!
You can book your tuktuk right from our website through our online reservationssystem, pay with PayPal or CreditCard and send through your licence information digitally. It does not get any easier!